There are several ways to reverse payments in your storEDGE software. The method of undoing a payment will depend on the payment type.
Go to the tenant ledger by
- Clicking on the Tenants tab on the far left of the screen.
- In the upper right hand corner of the screen, click the Ledger
Once you've located the tenant ledger,
- Click on the Reverse button next to an individual line item payment. A payment will be denoted by a highlighted line.
- Depending on the payment type (cash, check, credit) and where it will be applied (late fees or rent), you’ll see the following options for undoing the payment:
- Void: Void is used when a payment has been taken and needs to be undone within a short amount of time. The option is available for Cash, Checks or Money Orders and also Credit Card or ACH payments but only for a limited time from the moment the payment was taken, generally 1 day or less. For Credit Card or ACH payments, Void is only available until the payment has been finalized by the payment provider. Since this is different for different payment providers (sometimes 30 minutes, sometimes by the end of the day, sometimes by the next day), storEDGE keeps that option available for approximately 24 hours. However, if you choose this option and receive an error, it often means that the payment has been finalized and you will need to choose Refund instead.
- NSF: For checks and ACH/eCheck payments whose accounts have Non Sufficient Funds to process the transaction. The payment will be removed, the charge reopened, and an NSF fee applied. An NSF letter will be generated to send to the tenant via print or email. To customize the NSF letter or NSF email template, go to Settings > Documents and Emails.
Important Note: If the tenant is setup to receive all invoices and receipts via email, the tenant will also automatically receive the NSF letter via email. Closing out of the payment reversal screen does not prevent the NSF letter from being generated for tenants with this preference set.
- Returned: For ACH/eCheck payments that were successfully completed by your payment processor but were not accepted by the bank. The payment will be removed from the tenant's ledger and the charge reopened. Processing this return will not credit the tenant's bank account since the bank never accepted the original payment.
- Chargeback: A chargeback is when a credit card holder disputes a charge to his/her card. The credit card company automatically deducts the original charge from your merchant account and charges you a fee, so you just need to adjust the tenant ledger inside of storEDGE. Choosing the chargeback option on a credit card payment line item will void the payment line item, reopen the original invoice, and add a chargeback fee to the tenant ledger. No refund will be applied to the credit card. Using the chargeback option in storEDGE does not affect your merchant account or the tenant's credit card since the credit card company has already adjusted your merchant account and the tenant's credit card account.
- Refund: Taking this action will refund the entire payment amount back to the tenant’s credit card. The tenant will see a credit on his/her credit card statement in the amount of the original charge. Processing this refund will also change the status of the invoice which had been paid by this payment to unpaid.
- After clicking the desired undo action, a popup window will open.
- For some undo payment actions, a reason is required. Type the reason in the field provided.
- Click Reverse Payment to process the transaction.
- Once finished, a window confirming the undo payment action and showing the account information will appear. The ledger will automatically update to reflect the changes.
There is a difference between a payment line item reversal and a charge line item reversal. Payment line item reversals keep the charge open. The tenant will still owe their bill. Charge line item reversals close the charge. The tenant will no longer owe their bill.