The Past Due Tab is denoted by the alarm clock icon on the left side of your screen. It contains two lists.
- The default view is a sortable, filterable list of all currently occupied units with an unpaid balance more than 1 day old.
- The alternate view is the list of units previously occupied but the tenant moved out with a balance due on the unit.
At-a-glance you’ll be able to see the tenant name, phone number, email address, number of days past due, account balance, paid through date, delinquency status, and tenant notes.
Tenants are color coded by status. Tenants listed in red are delinquent tenants. Tenants listed in blue are past due tenants. The difference between a past due unit and a delinquent unit is determined by two things. (1) Delinquency exempt status: If the tenant is delinquency exempt he/she will never be considered delinquent but will be past due if he/she falls behind on rent payments. (2) Delinquency starts timing: Many storage facilities offer a grace period between the billing day and the day the tenant is considered delinquent. During this grace period tenants are classified as past due rather than delinquent. The delinquency start day defaults to 1 day past the billing date in storEDGE but can be adjusted by editing the Delinquency Stages in your facility settings.
Use the unfiltered view to make collection calls or send collection text messages to your tenants. Use the filtered view to complete delinquency actions based on your delinquency schedule.
Using Filters to Complete Delinquency Tasks
Filter options are located at the top of the screen on the left side. Using the drop-down menus, you can filter by delinquency type (add fee, overlock, send email, etc.) and by status (incomplete, completed, or cancelled).
Note: To clear the type filter, click on the Past Due tab's alarm clock icon.
Delinquency tasks can be completed in one of two ways:
- Automatically by the system
- Manually by a storEDGE user
Some tasks, such as gate lockout, are automatically executed and marked as completed. Other tasks, like calling a tenant or applying an overlock, need to be completed by a user.
After applying a specific filter, the results will show tasks that have been completed by the software as Auto completed. Tasks yet to be completed will display a Complete button. Tasks that have been successfully completed will display an Undo Complete button.
To complete a single task:
- Click Complete next to a task. A popup window will appear.
- The name of the task will be at the top of the window. A blank field labeled Add Note will be available for you to type a note.
- Click Complete to complete the task.
- The Status column will show a green checkmark indicating the completed action. The tenant's record will be updated to note the date and time the action was completed.
To complete several tasks at once:
- Filter the type by a manual action, such as overlock.
- Filter the status by Incomplete.
- Check boxes will appear next to the tenants' names. Check the boxes for the tenants you need to complete the action for.
- Click the Complete # actions button to update the tenant's record with the date and time the action was completed.
To complete Send Lien Notice or Send Auction Notice tasks:
- Filter the type by either Send Lien Notice or Send Auction Notice.
- Filter the status by Incomplete.
Note: You can skip the filtering steps by finding Send Auction Notice or Send Lien Notice under the Delinquency heading on your Task List.
- Select the checkboxes next to the tenants to whom you need to send notification. You can also select all tenants by checking the box next to the Tenant heading.
- Select Update Tenants.
5. A new window will open that will prompt you to set a lien date. Add the lien date you’d like to use and select Process and Create Batch.
Your documents will be populated. Once they’re ready, you’ll see a notification on your screen that the batch is ready.
6. Click the View Batch link to view and print your notices. You can also view the batch by accessing your Communications tab and accessing the Print Batches tab.
Mistakes happen, so the Undo Complete button is available to you to reverse manually completed actions. Clicking the Undo Complete button will open a small window allowing you to add a note explaining why the action needs to be undone before completing the undo action.
Also utilize the Undo Complete button to repopulate letters and notices with updated information. For example, if the Notice of Past Due Rent was generated on Monday but you didn't have a chance to send it out until Friday, printing the document on Friday would normally give you the document with data in it as of Monday. If you click the Complete button, then the Undo Complete button and then the Complete button again, that prompts the system to regenerate the document with data as of Friday.
Printing and Exporting Filtered Results
After filtering your past due tenants, you can print a list of your results. To do so:
- Click the print icon on the far right side of the screen.
- Select an option to either open and print a PDF or download a CSV or TXT document. A separate window will open with your filtered list.
- Print from the new window.
For a report of units by delinquency stage, see the Delinquency Stages report in the Occupancy portion of the Reports section.