Your Billing Settings provide the system with instructions for how to assess rent charges, payments, and other transactions.
To access your facility’s billing settings:
- Click the Settings Tab in the lower left of the screen.
- Under the Billing section, click Settings. The billing settings screen will appear.
Listed below are definitions and functions of each of the billing settings:
- Provider: This displays your current credit card and/or ACH payment processor. To change this, please first review the Credit Card and ACH Processes and Processors help article and then contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Payment order: Choose which order your software will apply payments to charges.
- rent before fees - apply payments to all unpaid rent, then services, then insurance, then fees
- fees before rent - apply payments to all unpaid fees, then rent, then services, then insurance
- oldest charges first - apply payments to the oldest invoices first no matter what type of charge is on them. If the invoice has multiple items on it, payments will be applied to rent, then services, then insurance.
- Batching: Here, you can choose to batch autopay payments manually or automatically.
- Manually will will create a list of scheduled autopayments for you to manually process in the Payments tab.
- Automatically will process all scheduled autopayments the morning of the autopay day
- Manual Reversal: Checking this box will allow you to limit the reversal of cash, check and money orders to a specific number of days after the payment or purchase was made.
- Acceptance: Choose whether or not to hide the ACH payment option or card reader and credit/debit payment option, or both in the payments screen. Hiding these options will not disable your merchant account. It will simply hide the payment options from the payment screens.
- Autopay: This gives you the option to set autopay day to the rental due date for all tenants. Checking this box does not retroactively update existing tenant autopay dates. You will need to edit the autopay date in the tenant's Payment Methods' tab in order to update the autopay date to the due date for existing tenants.
- Credit Card Masking: To improve the security of credit number numbers enable this setting to hide the credit card number as you enter it. As each number is entered into the payment screen, within 1 second the number will turn to an asterisk (*).
- Period: This setting allows you to default new tenants’ billing day to either the 1st of the month or the anniversary that the tenant moved in.
- Day: If 1st of month was selected for the billing period, you can select which day of the month you’d like invoices to be due.
- Align Invoice Day: If anniversary was selected for the billing period, you can select to align the billing dates for additional units added to the same tenant. Meaning if an existing tenant moves into another unit, having Align Invoice Day checked will set the billing day for the new unit as the same day as the first unit the tenant has. Having Align Invoice Day unchecked will set the billing day for the new unit as the day the tenant moves into the new unit.
- Lead Time: This section allows you to enter the number of days before rent is due that you’d like your software to generate invoices.
- Send to tenants: This section allows you to control how invoices are sent to tenants.
- Manually will create a list of invoices in the Unsent Bills tab of the Billing section on the day you’ve selected in your lead time settings. Choosing this setting will require you to choose which invoices to email, print, or send through mail house.
- Automatically will create a printable batch of invoices, email invoices, or send invoices through mail house the morning of the day you’ve set in your lead time settings.
- Invoice fee: If you would like to charge a fee for a mailed invoice, select that fee from the dropdown list here. The fee will need to be setup in Fees and Services before it will appear in the dropdown list.
- Invoice prefix: Here, you can enter any characters you’d like to appear before invoice numbers. For example, if you place a # in this field, your invoice number will appear as #1000.
- First invoice number: This displays the starting invoice number for your account.
- Returns: This section allows you to determine the time frame that you’ll allow merchandise to be returned after the date of purchase and whether you'll allow the return of merchandise without a receipt.
- Security deposit: Selecting this box will transfer the security deposit to the new unit when a tenant transfers units.
- Promotions: Selecting this box will automatically transfer all recurring promotions on the original unit to the new unit when a tenant transfers units. Promotions that are fixed to a set number of months will not be transferred.
Auctions (These settings apply to facilities using Auction Manager)
- Auction Commission: This section allows you to select the commission rate for auctions completed by 3rd parties. Entering an auction commission rate here will automatically deduct that commission when the winning bid's payment is processed.
- Auction Fee: Select an auction fee to be automatically applied when a unit is placed into a scheduled auction. The fee must first be setup in Fees and Services before it will appear in this list.