Tax Rates can be added to a unit or group of units, insurance(s), service(s), or retail item(s). From this settings page you can add new, edit existing, and disable tax rates.
To access your facility’s tax rates settings:
- Click the Settings Tab in the lower left of your screen.
- Under the Billing section, click the Tax Rates button. The tax rate settings screen will appear.
Adding New Tax Rates
- Click on the + Add new tax rate button.
A new screen will open allowing you to enter specific information about the rate. The fields and their functions are described below:
- Code: If there is a specific code tied to the tax rate you are creating, enter it in this field. If not, use a generic code, such as Tax Rate 1.
- Rate: Use this field to enter the value of the tax rate percentage. You do not need to enter the percent (%) sign.
- Description: Use this field to enter a brief description of the tax rate.
- Account Code: Using the dropdown menu, select the account code. Specify whether the tax rate is payable to the city, state, or other entity. For more information about account codes, visit the account codes article.
- Click the Save button to save the new tax rate.
To apply tax to a unit: Once you've added a new tax rate for rent navigate to Settings, click on Units, click on Edit for the units that require the tax, scroll down to the bottom of the unit page and check the box next to the tax rate you just created. Then click Save.
To apply tax to a retail item: Once you've added a new tax rate for retail items navigate to Settings, click on Retail Items, click on Edit for the items that require the tax, and check the box next to the tax rate you just created. Then click Save.
Editing Existing Tax Rates
- Click the Edit button on the line item you wish to adjust. A new screen will appear, allowing you to make the desired changes.
- Click the Save button to save your changes.
Important Notice: If you receive a notice from your local government that your tax rate for rent is changing in the future, you will need to edit your rent sales tax before your monthly rent invoices are sent out for that period. For example, if your rent sales tax rate is changing in January and your invoice lead time is 10 days, you must edit your rent sales tax setting no later than December 21st. Editing it after December 21st will result in the wrong tax amount being billed on the January invoices. To see what your invoice lead time is, navigate to Settings and click on Billing Settings.
Disabling Tax Rates
Disabling a tax rate will prevent it from being applied to a new fee, service, unit, or retail item, but it will not remove it from existing fees, services, units or retail items. To remove the tax rate from those items, you must manually edit those items in Unit Settings or Retail Items first and then disable the tax rate.
- Click the red Disable button next to the line item you wish to disable. A popup window will appear asking you to confirm your decision.
- Click the Continue button to confirm the action. Click the Close link to cancel the action.
- The line item will disappear from your tax rates list. However, clicking the Show Disabled button at the top of the list will allow you to re-enable a disabled tax rate at any time.