Your storEDGE software offers facilities the ability to communicate with customers and for customers to communicate with facilities via SMS (text) message.
Once this functionality is turned on for your facility, sending your customer a text is as simple as clicking on the text bubble next to their mobile phone number in their tenant page. Any phone number that is classified as a mobile number and opted in to SMS will have a text bubble icon that, when clicked, will open up an SMS dialog box.
You can opt your customers in to SMS messages by selecting the SMS checkbox next to their mobile number in their tenant profile or during the move-in process.
Once opted in, you can send an SMS (text) to the customer by clicking the text bubble next to the mobile phone number in their tenant profile or through an automated SMS.
Type your message and click Send.
The dialog box will update when the message has been sent.
If the customer replies after you've closed the dialog box, a pop-up window will appear in the upper right corner of your screen with the new message. Simply click the Reply button to continue the conversation.
The history of your conversations will be recorded in the history tab of the tenant profile as well as the SMS tab in the Communication section of storEDGE.
If an SMS message is received when you no longer have the message dialog box open, a notification will be added to your Task List alerting you to the new message. Clicking on SMS then SMS Received in the Task List will direct you to the SMS tab in the Communications section. The new SMS messages will be highlighted. To respond to the message, click on the phone number under the tenant's name. Clicking on the phone number under the tenant's name will also clear the highlight and clear the notification from the task list.
If an SMS message fails to be delivered, a notification will be added to your Task List alerting you to the failed message. Clicking on SMS then SMS Failed in the Task List will direct you to the SMS tab in the Communications section. The failed SMS messages will be highlighted. To clear the highlight and clear the notification from the task list, click on the phone number under the tenant's name. It is also a good idea to remove the SMS checkmark next to the mobile phone number in the tenant's profile so you no longer attempt to send an SMS to this phone number.
Automated SMS Messages
You may set up automated SMS (text) messages for the following actions:
- Gate Activity - Only available for facilities using storEDGE Cloud Access Control
- Past Due
- Reservation Created
To set up the automated messages, go to the Settings section of your storEDGE account and select the SMS button.
Here you can activate a default message template or create a customized message.
Once an SMS template is assigned to an action and activated, the message will be automatically sent (to customers who have opted in) upon the completion of a move-in, move-out, transfer, or reservation.
Automated delinquency SMS (text) messages must be added to your Delinquency Stages in order to be sent. The messages are created at 2 am local time (when storEDGE determines which customers are delinquent) and then sent at 8 am local time.
The Past Due automated SMS (text) message is not part of Delinquency Stages. It works on its own separate from Delinquency. An active "Past Due" SMS message will be sent at 8 am the day after a bill is due.
Things to know about SMS (texting):
1. Message Length: Any message greater than 160 characters will be split into multiple messages by the storEDGE message carrier. The multiple messages will be annotated on the receiver's mobile device.
2. Opting Out: Your customers may opt out of receiving SMS (text) messages at any time by texting STOP, STOPALL, UNSUBSCRIBE, CANCEL, END, and QUIT. Only single word messages will trigger the block. For example, if the customer texts STOP, they will stop receiving messages from you, but replying STOP PLEASE will not stop them from receiving messages from you.
3. Opting Back In: If your customer has previously opted out and would like to receive messages again, the customer needs to text START or YES to your assigned tracked phone number from storEDGE.
4. From Number: The number from which your text messages originate is your tracked phone number assigned to you by storEDGE. If you are a storEDGE marketing website customer, your assigned phone number is the tracked phone number on your marketing website. If you are not a storEDGE marketing website customer, please contact storEDGE sales or support to inquire about a tracked phone number.
5. Sending or Receiving Images or Photos: Sending and receiving images or photos (MMS messages) is not supported at this time.
6. International SMS: SMS is only supported for US and Canadian mobile numbers.
7. Legal: Please note that text message campaigns may be subject to various legal compliance requirements depending on the nature of your text messaging campaign, the location from where you are sending your text messages, and the location of your recipients. While storEDGE will handle the above-described messages in the way described in this article, you should consult with your legal counsel to ensure that your text messaging campaign conforms with all applicable legal compliance requirements.